Sunday, November 8, 2009

I: Invitation



It was a good idea while it lasted.  "Invitation" started out as a cardigan sweater from the thrift store.  I  removed the back and sleeves,  and sewed it together  to make a very skinny sweater.   Then I embellished it with felt flowers, rubber stamped fabric patches, an extra pocket, etc.  I included a note which invites others to add to the decoration.  I found a small tree next to a supermarket which was very happy to wear it. 

Unfortunately, a week later Invitation had disappeared.  I hope it's adorning someone's dorm room, rather than the bottom of a dumpster.  Oh well.  From the start of my tagging adventures, I knew that some would vanish quickly for one reason or another, and tried to accept that.  So this was a good test and yes, I did mind when one of my creations disappeared.  So now I can either make them harder to remove, or get more used to the idea that all of my work is "permanently temporary." 

While I didn't get any interaction with that piece, I was delighted to find some "tag backs" from my friend Mary.  Please check out her wonderful blog called Art Spirit: http://marystanley.blogspot.com.  You'll see Mary's logo, a heart.  She works a lot with felted wool, so her tags are cut from felted sweaters.   Mary placed her tags in the vicinity of our favorite meeting place--the thrift store at Magnolia Center.  Check her blog for her most recent tag on Hollister.  



No comments:

Post a Comment