Thursday, November 5, 2009

H: Hole Foods

We have a new grocery in town, and our knitting group likes to meet there, so I thought it should be favored with a yarntag.  I've altered the name slightly to protect any innocent bystanders and to fit in with my alphabetic scheme.  But when I saw the amount of security personnel, fright reared it's ugly head again (see the CalTrans trauma in the posting Foothill Fright).  Also the landscaping was so uniform that I didn't think a yarn aberration would be tolerated. 


 Actually these are just firefighters having a coffee break,  but there were several security dudes as well.
 This on was very complicated.  After carefully reconnoitering the area, I decided on a spot across the creek from the store in question, and visible from there.  In this picture, Hole Foods is the large white building in the background.   
 I was very pleased with my new tag, crocheted in a spike stitch.  I love to try out new stitches on these little squares.  My green gnametag is visible here (see last post).  I went back to Hole Foods to see how it looked from there...

...and realized that it was just about invisible.  Bummer!  


Fortunately, I just happened to have some extra squares with me.  This bright orange-yellow color might look awful in your living room, but it really did the trick here .  


 I'll confess that I didn't make this square, or the ones used in Foothill.  They were "rescue tags" that I found in the huge bag of yarn (see the post "Dogtag"), probably someone's aborted attempt at an afghan (I think the colors went out of style before she finished).  Using these squares  made me realize that I really prefer making the pieces myself; I feel more of a connection to them.  But these granny squares really came through for me in a pinch.  
 So I went back to Hole Foods yet again, and found that this piece was much more visible.  Next time I think I'll be more brave and just tag the security personnel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment