Thursday, November 5, 2009

G: Gnome and Gname

I've started adding a little  green"Gname Tag", which serves several purposes. First, it says, THIS IS ART, to give people a clue that my yarntags are benign (see my last post).  Next, the label carries my newly chosen logo, "j", which identifies it as my work.  My friend Mary uses a heart on hers, and we hope that each of the dozens who join us (ha!) will do likewise. (See the "I" post, two after this one, for pictures of Mary's tags.)  Last, it has the address of this blog so a curious person could find out more about a certain yarn oddity. The logo is done with a rubber stamp, using StazOn indelible ink, the green fabric is a cotton knit, and the white strips on the back are iron-on laundry labels, written on with a Sharpie.  Should be relatively weatherproof.



The Gnome tag was definitely planned for its location.  Driving up N. Patterson Ave. one day, I passed a familiar green wooden sign for the Noel Christmas Tree Farm, a sign which has been there for years.  Suddenly it dawned on me the farm closed several years ago, so here was another orphan sign--certainly in need of a yarntag.  This one was crocheted in very happy red and green yarn, using a chevron pattern.

I went on a scouting expedition and realized that the intended spot was out of my reach.  So the next day I brought along a folding stool and completed the installation.  I'm getting a little bolder; this one is quite visible along a busy street.  


1 comment:

  1. J+ love seeing your latest Yarn tags...will look for them on my daily jaunts in town.
    m

    ReplyDelete