Tuesday, December 8, 2009

U: UL-tide Disruption

This is a story of how an innocent little idea can take over your life.  On Dec. 1, a bright sunny morning, I was starting to feel the Christmas mood. I thought how fun it would be to have a little knitted elf hat on one of our fence posts in front of the house.

IMG_4713 #1

Yes, I like that.  But now don’t the other fence posts feel sad that they don’t have a hat?  Lo and behold, I counted 25 fence post--just the number of days until (including) Christmas!  You can probably already sense how dangerous this line of thinking is. Yarn tagging as we knew it has been completely disrupted by the Hat Takeover. 

So every morning a new hat has appeared.  Some are made "from scratch" and others use material from sweaters, usually felted.  Yesterday we had hours of pouring rain, during which the hats looked pretty droopy, but today they’ve dried out and look as happy as ever.

If you live in Santa Barbara, please drive by and take a look (watch for something to happen on the corner pole also).  If not, you can enjoy them right here.            

IMG_4723#2  IMG_4724#3

IMG_4725#4

IMG_4726#5IMG_4727#6

IMG_4728#7IMG_4729#8

IMG_4730#9

Yes, I’m actually a day ahead, but I couldn’t wait to put up this goofy owl.  He’s at the corner, higher than all the rest and making sure they stay in line.  Some of these hats, especially the cupcake, are ones I’ve wanted to knit, but didn’t know anyone who would willingly wear them, or let their child be caught dead in them.  But the fence seems to look good in any style (although he doesn’t have much to say about it).  In case someone decides to pluck one off as a souvenir, they’re securely nailed on. 

I think I’ve turned into Bartholomew Cubbins.  More to follow...

1 comment:

  1. J...love the fence hats! cupcake and owl are favorites, I think...but love them all!

    ReplyDelete